View Single Post
Sorry, but the workarounds to reduce the aggravation level of the complaints aren't good enough. OmniFocus has absolutely no business complaining in the first place, at least not with modal dialog boxes.

(The suggestions to only nag at start-up would not be an improvement. So many times I start up OmniFocus precisely because I've remembered a task that I need to type in before I forget. But wait, there's that annoying box again. My hands need to leave the keyboard, fumble for the mouse, dismiss the dialog box, go back to -- Congratulations, you've made me forget what I was going to type. So much for getting all my stuff out of my mind and into a trusted system.)

Yeah, I get it. It's a good idea to sync all my devices regularly for technical reasons. But can you honestly tell me that keeping all my devices in sync is so vastly more important than every single other thing I have to do in my life that it alone should get to nag me completely outside my normal task-management workflow?

Is it so vastly more important that it alone should get to force itself into my consciousness at seemingly random times rather than when I'm ready to choose my next task (and my only way of even slightly modifying the times isn't with the OF features I use for everything else, but to fiddle with secret options using arcana of the operating system, repeating on every device I own)?

Is it so vastly more important that it alone should get to yank my attention away from whatever other application I'm using on my computer -- not only ignoring context, but when I'm guaranteed to be in exactly the wrong context to do anything about it?

If you're so firmly convinced that regular syncing is important, have OF slip reminders into my inbox so that I can choose to deal with them, or not, the same way I do all my other tasks. (And provide a preference to turn that behavior off.)

Nagging users over minor technical issues with modal dialog boxes isn't just bad interface design and incredibly rude, it fundamentally violates the GTD philosophy that OF is allegedly made to support.