View Single Post
Speaking personally, I believe that using a generic search term for OF's context-based Location Service is next to worthless, yet is one of the most common examples given to demonstrate the technology. Your example of the grocery store search demonstrates this well. OF will suggest the closest store that sells anything grocery related, even if it is a gas station that sells milk (what I might need to pick up) for $5.00 a gallon. The store may also be 5 miles in the other direction that I am headed, but since it is the closest to where I am at the time, it's the one that gets displayed.

I've found the utility of this feature much more useful to me using more specific search criteria, for a few contexts only. Assigning a location to a grocery store context-I don't need. For me, going to the grocery is a planned errand and I don't need to know where the closest one is as I already know where I want to go. If I do need to pick up, say a gallon of milk, I also can pretty easily find a store along my route that sells milk. Where I find the feature useful is to either a) use the physical address or GPS coordinates for the location or b) use more specific business search terms. As example, I use the 'Home Depot' or 'Lowe's' search for home improvement store errands, an 'OfficeMax' or 'Office Depot' for office supplies, and a 'mybankname' to search for the closest ATM machine of my bank so I'm not charged an ATM fee. This approach works much better for me than using the more generic search terms.

Last edited by Greg Jones; 2009-06-14 at 03:39 AM..