View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
There is an experimental hidden default (the mis-named OWOpenNewFramesInTabs) which should catch both window.open and target=_blank and make new tabs instead.
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWOpenNewFramesInTabs -bool true
This is not a public feature yet since all the bugs haven't been worked out. For instance it bypasses the popup-trap (if you use that option) and it may have other problems.
Is there a similar feature that will do this, but force target="_blank" links to simply open in the current tab? What I'm trying to put a stop to is getting a new anything (window or tab) in a situation where I expected the link to open in the current tab. Having these links open in a new tab instead of a new window is really not much better.

I also only want this to affect normal anchor tags that use target="_blank", not JavaScript window.open() ones, because the latter are almost never used for regular links, but instead for pop-up windows relevant to the current page (like popping up enlarged versions of images, or a little panel of info, or whatever else). Whether it's a wise decision to use a JS pop-up for a given website feature is another matter (and is in any case one that can already be handled by the existing pop-up blocking and JavaScript rules on a per-site basis), but it is certainly possible and occasionally happens that a pop-up window serves a useful purpose. We should be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater here.

Ideally it would be possible to specify on a per-site basis whether to force target="_blank" links to open in the current tab. For the most part, that's how I want all of those to work, but on the off chance that a particular site actually has a legitimate reason for creating a new window in this way (i.e. target="_blank"), it would still be nice to be able to allow it for certain sites.

Last edited by Stormchild; 2006-07-20 at 04:29 PM..