View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I use On Hold when there isn't a definite date where the project should become active. Otherwise, I use a start date so that I don't have to remember to make it active. If it is a sequential project and the very first action can't be started before a given date, I may put the start date on the project, but it doesn't matter a whole lot, as putting the start date on the action will also hide the subsequent actions from an Available actions view. If the project has some parallelism, I would put a start date on the project only if I didn't want to work on any of it before that date.
Okay, that makes sense and helps clarify a few things that were a bit hazy to me.

Do you ever make choices about this based on how tasks will appear in a "starts soon" perspective?

If I put a start date of 9/15/2011 on a project, all of it's children will show up under "starts next month" if I go to context view, group by start date and filter by "remaining", yes?

But they won't have a start date in the start date field that I can look at in that layout, they'll just be filtered into starts next month, because they inherited the 9/15/2011 start date from their project. Is that correct?

So if I want to see a start date on each task under those circumstances I need to assign one to each task and not just to the project?

Or am I mixed up?

KS