View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Gilmour View Post
Not that I know of though you can create a perspective that has it hidden. Maybe in v.2.
This works -- sort of -- but I find it so flaky that it's actually not reliable at all. Whether a given perspective restores the "collapsed" state of the sidebar or not depends on which other perspectives you've viewed before switching to it. Here's what I did; if you feel like testing it, see if this is wonky for you too.

- I created a perspective in project-mode with a specific project selected and the sidebar collapsed.

- When switching to another project-mode perspective, the sidebar remains collapsed (even if the other perspective was saved with it open) -- thus it in fact *disregards* the saved sidebar state.

- When switching to a context-mode perspective in which the sidebar should be expanded, the sidebar opens back to to the width I saved for that perspective. If I now switch back to my new project-mode perspective, the sidebar returns to its closed state. Everything is working as expected here.

- When I switch to a context-mode perspective with an expanded sidebar, the sidebar is shown (as expected). If I then switch to a *different* project-mode perspective (one in which the sidebar should be shown), then back to my original project-mode perspective, the sidebar is opened, ignoring the saved state.

- At any time, when the sidebar state isn't restored properly, I can just switch to any perspective with the opposite mode, then switch back, and then the sidebar state will be restored as expected. This would be a nice workaround in theory, but unfortunately this process also causes the entire window to expand wider than I wanted it, so I end up having to manually resize the window every time I go through this process.

So it seems the saved open/closed state of the sidebar is actually only honored when switching from context- to project-mode, or vice versa (i.e. when switching from a context-mode perspective to a project-mode one, or vice versa). When switching to a perspective that uses the same mode (project or context) as the current one, the sidebar state is ignored.

I assume this is just a bug, so I'll report it via the feedback form now.