View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. The problem is not that it is going to take a little computational effort to rearrange the ordering when you launch OmniFocus. The problem is that each copy of OmniFocus needs to maintain that ordering, and so needs to communicate it by sync, through a file format that currently does not provide for doing so.

I do not think you will find that most OmniFocus users would be happy if they sorted the day's expected workload by priority on their desktop, then discovered as soon as they went elsewhere and pulled out their iPhone or iPad that their efforts were for naught (or worse yet, saw a stale version that gave no indication of being so).

If it were convenient to deploy such a change outside of a major release (where non-trivial changes to the file format are more reasonable), we probably would have seen it by now. Users have been asking for some variation of this for many years.
Thanks for the clarification. I actually did visualize that some power users (such as yourself) and enterprises would be working with desktop/ipad/iphone in unison, but still believe that would be the exception rather than the rule. However, should a manual sort for contexts, say, or flags be made available, how would that be different from rearranging projects on one device and watching that propagate to others in the fleet? Given that the developers want to design for the worst case, how then could they accommodate what I still contend is the majority user population? Easy: allow selectable configuration rules for those special cases that govern synchronization. It's also revealing that OF have users asking for something for years and not getting it.