View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usable Thought View Post
Your description of GTD makes me think you don't get it - which isn't unusual
No - I agree with everything you say. GTD is not basically a complicated idea. My summary fits exactly with yours. You’ve just elaborated on it, and very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usable Thought View Post

Don't blame the developers for adapting GTD terminology. Don't blame users if they create contexts that aren't really contexts (maybe it works for them). Reread GTD if you want to get what's going on.
Whoa, where did blame come from? Of course it’s good that people do these things. My point was the confusion in several threads about these terms and the touch of dogmatism that creeps in here and there about what GTD supposedly does or doesn’t allow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I don't think OF will ever be a project management software, but it is a task management software based on GTD concepts but flexible enough to allow other methods of planning if the user so chooses.

As such, you would not expect to see Calendar, Gantt-chart, etc. If you want those, you should look at Omniplan or other project management software.
This is exactly the problem, kshree. OmniPlan is a largescale app for multiperson project planning environments, total overkill for small scale planning of the kind I was talking about and which OF is intended for (Ethan says it in the video, “professional” task management). The fact is that in some circumstances OF-level planning does require simple time visualization, not bloat but another view of the same data, allowing time use to become clearer and improving task management. This is all I’m suggesting, very far from the transformation of OF into a fullscale project planning app. That would be a big mistake, and obviously ain’t gonna happen.

iCal sync in the present form doesn’t cut it, unfortunately, as it’s not just a matter of scheduling tasks but seeing how long a sequence will take in relation to another. If All-day or multi-day events could somehow be synced, this might be an approximation, but clunky in iCal, whereas a simple time view in OF would do the job easily and elegantly.

If this sounds like OmniPlan Lite, with which OF could be integrated, great - perhaps that would be the answer. At the moment there is nothing out there (that I’m aware of, anyway) designed for small-scale project planning with time vizualization. But I’m not convinced even this is necessary - just the present lean, svelte OF, exactly as is, plus the additional view. Then there would truly be nothing to beat it in its field.

Last edited by mcoad; 2007-11-24 at 01:00 PM..