View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCatMachine View Post
I'm using the default shapes in the stencils drop down. If I draw shapes manually they do snap but part of the reason I want to use a grid is to save time.

I've found with some experimentation that the grid is indeed broken. Shapes may vertically align to it when they do not horizontally align to it.
That's not what I'm seeing. As I said, the initial placement from a stencil is not snapped to the grid, but any subsequent movement is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/971671/MVI_2245.m4v

(you'll have to forgive the low production values!)
Quote:
This is a serious failing of a piece of software the requires accurate placement of objects. The absence of an 'align' feature must have been a seriously discussed topic before release. Sketch has align and I find that easier to use for many things for that very reason.

As it stands: With grid turned on, snap to grid turned on, default shapes (squares) dragged from the shapes palette do NOT automatically snap to the grid. They each snap to what appears to be an independent grid so that aligning them with each other is impossible without nudging them pixel by pixel.

I wish something so fundamental hadn't been overlooked. Sigh.
You're a "glass is half-empty" kind of guy, aren't you? It's amazing how well the feature works, considering it was allegedly overlooked! You might want to direct such reports to Omni support (via the Contact Omni button) in the future, as they may not see them here.

As I said, the initial placement is not snapped to the grid. I don't regard this as a big problem, because it is likely that the stencil needs to be resized as well as placed. Any subsequent movement snaps to the grid on the edge(s) closest to your finger.