View Single Post
I use OmniFocus to create habits. Habits are routines that happen automatically and instinctively.

I would rely on OF to remind myself to do a daily next action. I keep it on OF for as long as I need to form this habit until it becomes second nature.

When I wake up in the morning, I already know to do my Daily Review. I don't really need this in OF because it became an automatic habit. I don't even have to think twice about it.

At 5:30 pm, I automatically know that my workday is coming to close and I make sure that I don't schedule any appointments during this time to do an end-of-day review and prepare my desk with projects for the next day.

On the occasional days where I cannot avoid an appointment during 5:30 pm, I create an iCal reminder at an earlier time to do my end-of-day review.

For my workout routine, I don't enter OF next actions. I just use iCal to create a workout schedule. I already know that I have blocked out my time for my workout.

For certain daily actions, I create a separate OmniOutliner outline with checkboxes to remind myself to go through certain steps.

My Daily Review checklist closely emulates the steps in David Allen's GTD book with a couple of twists that are specifically for me.

After a certain next action becomes a habit, I'll usually eliminate it from OmniFocus altogether.

Weekly habits are also automatic. I already know that Sunday is my family day and block out any other appointments except time for my family on that day.

I usually use OF to remind myself of Next Actions that aren' quite so common such as quarterly reviews, mowing the lawn (once a month), etc.