View Single Post
Sure, we're all Omni fans, but criticizing or defending the pricing is not the main value of this thread. EndoftheQ raises some very important points. The fact that we are willing to buy is obvious; we made OF/iPad one of the highest grossing apps.

However, pricing strategy for iPad differs overall from what Omni does -- there's no question about it. Many of us are programmers at heart, and in mind, and by trade, too. Heck, there are some computer scientists, too. They don't understand why perspective-based iCal Sync Services are not supported yet, or tags, or such simple things as Sync Flagged to an iCal calendar (as opposed to a context).

What this thread doesn't need is a Soviet-style "yeah, charge my card again." We need to understand where we stand vis-a-vis value. I listed specific cases of features asked for years ago and not even entered into the system properly -- Sync Flagged -- and credits/upgrades not offered where warranted.

This is an Omni choice, but many customers in fact disagree. Instead of some general "but we approve," it would be useful to be very specific of what exactly you approve of, and what not. E.g. I have no need for phone support, and I don't want to pay for it. I'd rather pay whpalmer4. :)

Instead of forever asking for features like Sync Flagged with no use, I got the whole Things lineup and experiment with it for a long time. My chances of sticking with Omni depend on Omni's reactions. So do many others'. Instead of shutting them up or claiming a chorus of approval, it's very important that their voices are heard and understood properly. This thread is not about justifying a high price in a blanket manner; it's gauging the value existing buyers expect to get from what they bought into, and steering things accordingly.

As a programmer, I now clearly see value in an open-source equivalent of the best of breed OmniFocus/Things synthesis, with Spootnik/OPML/etc qualities. Then instead of asking, we could just do it.

Last edited by braver; 2010-08-18 at 06:43 PM..