View Single Post
Sorry elnj, my posts rarely make sense! :)

OmniFocus forms an integral part of how the team I work with handle our day-to-day business. We all leave OmniFocus and Mail up on our desktop Macs 24/7. I'm guessing that on any given day I will enter c. 200 actions, of which 80% will then need to be delegated. I would estimate that I receive, on average, 30-40 emails a day that need me to either action myself or delegate or both.

I'll find it easier to explain if I give you a real world example that happened a couple of hours ago.

This morning, I received an email from client concerning a shoot in Lakshadweep that happened back in 2007, asking if they could reuse some of the still photography in a new production.

I copied-n-pasted the email into PasteBot and then sent it back to the client with the reply "I'm on it!". I also bcc'd Jo (researcher, she'll need to find out which specific images), Lisa (legal, does the photographer own the copyright or was it assigned), Ciaran (accounts, we need to bill for our time) and myself.

In our team we all use the same code to convert emails into actions. So, the client got my response and Jo, Lisa, Ciaran and myself got an action that dropped into our OmniFocus inboxes containing the email in the action's notes.

A few minutes later, I got an action dropped into my inbox from Ciaran entitled CNTMLAK0666 (bit worrying!), with a note saying "re: CNTM. Please use this billing code re: negotiations regarding reuse of still photography shot on Lakshadweep". I'm assuming that Jo and Lisa also got the same action.

OK, maybe you're not in a team, but even if that's the case, using the OmniFocus Mail rule and PasteBot allows you to respond to an email and simultaneously turn it into an action.

I hope this example shows how PasteBot is useful to us. I would also add that I have a couple of dozen standard responses to emails and SMSs stored within PasteBot along with pictures of current projects which allows me to respond with a couple of clicks to a lot of enquiries. I also use PasteBot to move photos taken on my iPhone to my laptop without having to email them to myself or doing a full sync.

I trust the above helps explain how we're using PasteBot, but elnj, don't hesitate to let me know if this is yet another one of my incomprehensible posts!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-03 at 07:13 AM..