View Single Post
Open source is not the answer necessarily. First of all, OW might contain code that other Omni apps use also, code they need to keep to themselves.

Plus Open Source only accomplishes something if there's a core group of dedicated programmers to make it happen. I don't know if such a group exists, or if they would spend the time on OW. Shiira is open source, and that project is also going nowhere. There's little evangelism for OW. So I don't see how opening the source will suddenly make OW get any better.

It's pretty obvious that Omni just updates OW to keep the browser engine relatively up-to-date and to take advantage of Webkit security fixes. Broken features are not fixed, nor are new ones added. Like most companies, they have to prioritize limited resources, and I would say that their other products are much more profitable than OW.

There are now 4 major free browsers available for Mac users (Safari, FF, Opera, and Camino) plus a couple of fringe ones. In this environment, it's hard for OW to justify its continued development.

They can either invest a lot of programmer-hours and come up with a powerful new browser that people would spend money on over the free alternatives, or justify the time as a project that draws people to OG and sells its other apps by association. Companies are in business to stay profitable. OW might just not make business sense any more.