View Single Post
You don't need to embed the files in the document, you can put in links to them instead. To add a link to a file instead of embedding the file, simply do Edit->Attach File... when you've got the action selected, and choose the create a link option. Now they won't be clogging up your database on the iPhone. It's worth keeping in mind that the iPhone is not exactly an equal to your desktop machine in processing power or storage capacity, and shoveling multi-megabyte files over a 3G network is going to take some time.

You have all the tools to do as you propose by storing the files on the DropBox service (for example) and putting in URLs for the files. Tap the URL in the notes field, and you'll have the file displayed. The primary issue with such a solution is that it breaks down if you aren't connected to the network (more of a concern for us iPod touch users) but it shares that characteristic with your proposal. No need to wait for Omni to deliver this sort of functionality; you can do it yourself, no waiting.

I don't think anyone said that a 2 MB database is big; a 2 MB database made up of thousands of actions without attachments is big, because there's a lot more overhead to store thousands of small items than a handful of large items, and potentially a lot more work to be done in a sync. A 2 MB database with 200 actions shouldn't be much of a problem at all. At the moment, I'm using a 10.8 MB database with 4300+ actions to see if your "useless" assertion holds water, and the only issue so far has been an out-of-memory crash when I tried to view an embedded file that is several MB in size.