View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
If you've never owned an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, you'll never know what it's like to drink the Kool Aid...
Wilsonng, thanks for your insights. My daughter has had an iPod Touch for a long time now, and I know a couple people who carry one in addition to their flip phones. I've played with iPhones and Touch and I realize they're great devices and have many great apps. I really wanted an iPhone for a long time and were it not for them being hardwired to AT&T I would have. If they had chosen verizon to partner with it would have been the best device, first of it's kind, available on the best network. But instead they left me out in the cold until someone else solved that problem.

Apple has OS X and I love it. Apple is dedicated hardware/software package oriented. Windows kicked their butt by opening up and grabbing market share first. Jobs had the insight to see the potential for the iTunes store and changed the whole industry by implementing it well, being first, gaining market dominance quickly. Instead of realizing that personal computing was rife for the same kind of change they held onto status quo and hoped the world wouldn't change without them. It did. Google is doing almost the same thing that Apple did with iTunes. MobileMe was a feeble attempt to provide a way to remotely sync hardware devices. Google eliminates the need to sync hardware- you just access data and you don't even need wi-fi to do so.

The power of linking GPS, google maps, google location search and the comprehensive database on a mobile device is a slam-dunk. It's tightly integrated and slick as can be on Android. And will get even better in time.

OmniFocus is the only thing I've run into that has been seemingly resistant to get on board, and it's for the same reason... status quo and hardware oriented, hardware specific. Refusing to see the significance of a fundamental shift that's taking place right before their eyes.

If the programming languages are that incompatible, surely they could build a web site that would either facilitate syncing or eliminate the need. I think the first person to take GTD to a web implementation with a smooth interface is going to be a very wealthy person.