View Single Post
Hi all,

I fell off the OmniFocus wagon for a while. I was using it quite avidly for a few years, and here I am, back at it again.

I'm re-setting up my file, I've done a large brunt of the work, and I'm looking at my contexts again.

My main question (which I remember having before) is this:

Why would anyone ever set a context to "On Hold"? I'm pro-GTD, and when you think about the burning question of "is it actionable" or "what is the next actionable step", I feel like the "act" of waiting is a poor decision. I understand waiting when it comes to someday/maybe projects or actions. (i.e. I'm not going to spend a lot of time thinking about my On Hold Single-Action list called "For The Kids" when I don't even have any yet.)

But when it comes to a context, I feel like the next action whenever I even think about using an "On Hold" context is: "Follow-up with so-and-so about xyz".

I guess this thread is to ask anyone using an "On Hold" context, how they use it.

Personally if the next action is "Wait to hear from Dave about the printer" - context being "On Hold", my question is why not take one further step in the process and change that action to "Follow with Dave about the printer" - context being "People:Dave" and set that action to become available in two weeks or whatever time you expect them to get back to you by.

I feel like that eliminates a lot of potential contexts (i.e. "People:Dave" one that's on hold and one that's active. Assuming people do that. idk)

Dunno, just a fundamental understanding issue I'm having. The rest of the setup is just remembering how to do get my "Today" perspectives working properly again lol

••
Roman Miranda