View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie90 View Post
I have to agree with this. OF needs a web based way of accessing the databases. I would even be willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee to have this kind of access.
Rumor has it that Omni is working on some kind of web client. So we may be in luck!

Quote:
unfortunately, the company I work at has this unreasonable policy of being a Windows only shop
Ugh, I totally sympathize with you there. What's wrong with these people?! :-)

Quote:
BTW, having the "in the cloud" solution would also make Push Notifications for the iPhone client much easier as well.
Unfortunately, I don't think so. Or at least there'd still be some significant problems. As you may know, web apps typically only run on a user-initiated request. So they're not well-suited for sending scheduled notifications.

So we'd need to use cron or similar scheduling facility. But that makes system requirements steeper if you run it on a user-provided host. And if Omni hosted the service, they'd need to start managing other people's data, which is also a dicey proposition.

Even if these problems are solved, there's still the need for a constant network connection for the notifications to work, which isn't really very good for a large portion of users (i.e. iPod touch owners).

As Omni stated in another thread, what they really need is on-device notifications. So OmniFocus can independently display a scheduled message at any time, even when the app is not running and no network connection is available.

I may be missing something, but these are the issues as I understand them. Maybe Apple is listening and Omni will eventually get the system support it needs.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-07-06 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: typo