View Single Post
I'm not sure if I'd express the difference _quite_ that way. I'd say that GTD has a task (action) focus at some times, and a project focus at other times. And OmniFocus is mostly GTD.

When I have an "Oh, remember (whatever)" thought and I "collect" that thought into my Inbox, that's often task focused. Remember to get those paint samples, remember to plant the peas, remember to tell my manager X. Now, some of those tasks might turn out to be more complicated - maybe to plant the peas I have to get compost and choose the right peas and lay out a tarp so that the ground dries up a little and so that turns out to be a project - but fairly often, the "collection" phase of GTD is task focused.

When I'm working, I'm again usually task focused - I look at the tasks I've already defined and I pick one. If my Next Actions are properly written, I don't think about the whole project and everything that there is to worry about it; I just focus on the individual task without distracting myself with bigger issues.

But when I'm processing, I'm project focused. I look at the tasks in my Inbox, and I don't so much group those tasks into projects, as create or identify the projects that will end up encompassing those tasks. The item from my inbox might be the Next Action for a project, or it might go into the product support materials, or it might not be specifically mentioned at all, because it's an obvious outcome for a project that starts before that task.

And when I finish a task, I temporarily go project focused again, when I write a new Next Action for the project. The same when I do my weekly review.

So I'd agree that the architecture of GTD and therefore OmniFocus is project based, but on a day to day basis more time will be spent focusing on tasks.

Gardener