View Single Post
Well, on my Mac, I do use other applications, in particular OmniOutliner. I also use iCal and the ipod calendar for "fixed date" stuff. With that said:

1. For me, a huge benefit of starting to work in a more GTD-like manner is to stop using many different ways to do things and concentrate mostly on one "system/tool". Or rather, to do it for trivial stuff and keep the distinct tools for what I really need more "specialized" tools (for me, computer-related work and music, for which I always carry pen and paper and a bunch of software installed on my laptop, plus other hardware and music instruments).

2. Those lists are not static, they evolve over time and with new experiences, so I like to be able to make them evolve easily with the quick data entry and shortcuts provided by OF. On the ipod touch (which is what I use), data entry is already hard enough compared to on my main computer so I appreciate it even more. I also like in general the look and feel, I would use OmniOutliner for iphone if it existed, so I might be compensating! :)

3. I'm still figuring out how to apply GTD/OF for my personal needs so what I describe here is maybe the 4th or 5th iteration, and it's convenient to have those things all in one system so I can still move things around until they're more static, at which point I might consider a different method. For example right now I'm traveling and I can tell you that the hours in plane or train have never been so productive! I cleaned up many projects and reoarganized the way I group them, part of the result is this "checklist" folder that worked very well for the past weeks.

4. Sometimes I do want to create an "on the fly" perspective for example making a grocery list out of a recipe. Or flag a specific task that usually is not critical but today is (getting the garbage out before a very long trip, while usually skipping a garbage day is not an issue). If I can just flag it instead of copying it or typing it, it's already a "win". If it gets automatically in my perspective for the "once in a while" time I need it, great too. Similarly, if I need to buy a new piece of equipment from a list, I'll simply change the context to the proper "errand" context and it will be there when I need it.

For me it is all very similar to the "grocery list" that has been discussed in some threads I've seen and seem a "valid" use of OmniFocus (I'm still new at all of it and don't want to sound close-minded or anything like that, I'm really curious to know how others are working with it).

I would say, for now, it doesn't feel like OF gets in the way, or at least it is easier and more "comfortable" than anything I've done before, and using too much other programs seem like extra work. "Where did I save this text file?" "What was the name of xxx?" "this is on my laptop back home", etc.

I'm curious, how can I make a link to another app in OF (ipod/iphone)?

Also, I'm curious about any suggestion for "checklists" apps, I had tried many before getting to OmniFocus, but none had seem to do the job.

Thanks!

Julien