View Single Post
I too have EVERYTHING in Omnifocus. Several tricks mentioned here are what help me.

In my work I keep active everything that can be done in this season, which is about 3 months., I sort the seasons based on the calendar so from winter solstice to the spring equinox is the winter season, Spring equinox to summer solstice is the spring season, summer solstice to fall equinox is summer and fall equinox to winter solstice is fall. SO I typically have any project that can be done in that 3 month period active and available. I set review times on everything appropriate for the project. For the active projects it's weekly, for the ones on hold it may be monthly, a few are set to review only twice a year or even only once a year, long term pie in the sky ideas I may or may not ever get to this lifetime.

Contexts are also critical. I live and work at the same place so I can go into nearly any context at any time, but I found that for me if any given context gets to over 1 page of actions (about 20) I go numb. When that happens it's a sign to me to split that context in some other way. I have 19 different computer contexts, one for each major software package I run on a regular basis and one for each major device. I also have contexts for locations (hay barn, shop, guest house) as well as phone and phone business hours and so on. I will create, use and then delete contexts on the fly as needed for my work.

Review is the critical item. Without a good review things get totally lost and I feel frustrated. With a good review at least weekly and in some times of the year (during lambing for example) more often are what keeps me on track.

Stepping back to review higher horizons (Why am I doing this? What is the benefit of doing this? What is the penalty if I don't?) are also critical. I do a very high level review at each seasonal change (equinoxes and solstices) That's when I set things up for the next season, review progress and get my mind in gear for a different set of tasks.

I typically have between 200-300 active current projects, I also typically have about 100 that are pending, waiting on a start date based on season, that I can't even think about now and I have about 1000 projects sitting on hold as my someday/maybe list. Those numbers go up and down a bit, I think my high was having over 2000 projects but then I was able to complete bunch, decide a bunch were never going to happen and got the numbers down to my current set.

I'd suggest you take some time to review higher levels and see if that helps you weed out the lower level stuff.