View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sam, the duplicate reminders issue is a MobileMe problem - it's not something we can fix in our code.
I agree that it is something you can't fix in your code (I am a little familiar with the iPhone SDK / CalDAV etc...). However I'm guessing that Omni has better access to the relevant Apple engineers than I do and that an Omni ticket in the apple bug system would carry more weight than mine. So it is an issue that you could fix through your relationship with apple. Given that Omni advertises "Calendar notifications let you know when a task is coming due" on the App Store, it seems to me that Omni is responsible for making it work.

Quote:
The current calendar publishing was implemented as a means to an end - folks wanted reminder alerts on their iPhone OS 3 devices. The calendar app was the only way to get those reminders onto their devices.

(Apple didn't make the code that Calendar uses to pop up notifications available to third party developers, and push notifications don't work for the 40% of the marketplace that has an iPod touch.)
It is interesting to know the history of the feature and I understand how that has lead to the current implementation. But I still have the issue that the advertised "Calendar notifications let you know when a task is coming due" led me to expect that I would be able to look in the calendar to see when tasks were due. The current situation is that I can only see tasks that are due in the next ~14 days.

BTW, push should work on a iPod that is in Wi-Fi range...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3576
"When the iPod touch screen is on and has a Wi-Fi connection, push notifications are received at any time. If the iPod touch screen is asleep, it will check every 15 minutes for a notification."

... but that wouldn't help achieve my aim anyway.

Quote:
Bill's post about repeating actions is why the notifications are only pushed out for a couple of weeks. Farther than that, the events you need to be notified about may not have been created yet...
Is there a reason you can't just express repeating action's due dates are recurring events in the iCal schema? iCal has no problem showing me events that recur for ever (according to iCal our cleaner will still be turning up twice a month in 2099)