View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels22 View Post
Sorry. I meant "phony" I was thinking about the iPhone and wasn't sure if you meant that you don't like the link to an external document...
Okay, by "phony" I meant you would have an action named something like Reference Materials that served only as a place to store documents or links to documents. Unfortunately, you have to keep it from interfering with your work, so it probably has to go to the end of the project.
Quote:
> Attachments are at the bottom of the screen...

When you say attachments we are talking about embedded text that is in a Action is that right? I am going to take my Pages docs and embed them as a note in a Action, yes? I then lose the link to the original document and don't need the original document, yes?
Any file that was embedded in the notes instead of being linked shows up as an attachment. There's no link to the original document; instead, there's a copy of the original document. If one of them changes, you'll have to update the other.

I was suggesting that you not embed your Pages docs. Keep them in your Dropbox folder, and link them from OmniFocus on the Mac. Dropbox will handle the file syncing, and you'll be able to get the most up-to-date version of the file on any of your devices (so long as you allow Dropbox an opportunity to sync when you make changes). Also put a note in the notes for that action to tell you what the name of the file is, because that's all you'll be able to see in OmniFocus on the iPhone. You'll need to go to the Dropbox app armed with that file name to actually open the file, and you may only be able to view it, not edit it. OmniFocus does not appear to be able to open Pages documents embedded in its database with either of the iOS apps, unless it works in iOS 4.x (it doesn't in iOS 3.x).

Quote:
On the last part, unless I am missing something - the only way to edit info on the iPhone is if you /embed/ the information in Omni as notes in an Action. If I keep the Pages docs on Dropbox, I can have the link from my mac and I can /see/ the link in my iPhone - but I still can't do anything on the iPhone since there is no app to edit Pages docs that I might access off Dropbox, yes?
OmniFocus on the iPhone doesn't allow you to edit embedded files. I can't answer for whether there is an iPhone app that might let you edit Pages docs.