View Single Post
:)

I appreciate the compliment. That certainly would be a greater challenge! I was fortunate, I suppose, that I had reset the sync connection as a final step without any further changes to the OF project structure. In this way, the next day, I only needed to delete the final three change-sets (the other two were further deletes from the MBA, all in a span of a minute) and I was all set.

To analyse a little further (because I love to analyse), it is indeed plausible that OF was doing what it was supposed to do. And, normally I would have thought twice about re-syncing machines. (As it happens, I've carried out the same procedure a number of times in the past on both my iPhone and MBA without a glitch; though perhaps I'd been lucky)

However, assuming that the tree we are barking up is correct in the first place, I believe that I was misled somewhat by OmniFocus (amounting to a User Experience problem), and I also still believe that there is an underlying bug:
  • Bug: If OF was indeed doing the right thing on re-establishing the sync, then why did I see any records at all in the morning? Instead, I saw what can only be described as patches of tasks all over the place. In fact, had OF instead been completely empty, it would have been far less disconcerting and I would probably have known exactly what had happened. (In addition, on having synced the night before, I remember seeing the entire project structure on my MBA.)
  • UX: In answer to your question, I had cleared OF on my MBA simply to clean the slate. I wanted to identify a successful sync (as a matter of habit, for good or for bad), and starting with a blank OF was the easiest way (though I realise that deleting all items is not the same as resetting the database). I agree with you that adding the MBA as a new addition to the family was the best way to go. However, I thought I was doing exactly that. In the sync settings last week, I had changed the setting to "Nothing". To me, that means I've erased the current sync settings and the next time I choose Bonjour sync, it's a fresh start. Instead, perhaps there should be a "Disable sync" setting under "Bonjour" to distinguish between turning off the sync temporarily, and erasing it.

I submitted a report to Omni during the week; I will let you know if I hear anything back. Thanks again for all your assistance. It's been one of the more challenging problems to solve this week!