View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It's free for 60 days, with no obligation beyond that point. How is that overpriced? It works much better than what you've got now. Sign up for the trial already and get syncing. Get some work done while Omni stamps out the rest of the bugs.

Why do you say it doesn't support HTTPS?
My original thought on MobileMe, was that I wouldn't use it because after 60 days I wouldn't keep the service, as I'd never use it for anything but syncing - everything else is useless fluff since I host my own domain/site (which doesn't support WebDAV for security reasons). So I'm wouldn't to change my workflow for a temporary solution.

As I asked for ideas around the office though, someone reminded me that I'm not going to be able to use a third-party WebDAV server of any kind - we're not allowed to store confidential information on non-company servers, so both BingoDisk and MobileMe are a moot point (that $20 is lost to my eagerness to get it working).

Omni: I suspect that every corporate user will be facing the exact same issue. We'll need either local hosting or wireless sync in order to comply with corporate policy, and either/both must support HTTPS and strong password authentication/protection.

Now regarding the local hosting and HTTPS, if you have it working, I'd welcome instructions - every attempt has failed due to certificate issues. I can put up with having to modify the firewall settings every time I change networks as long as the transmission is secure. (Assuming I can find where the IP address is available for display on the iTouch that is). I can use a robust password, so that's not the issue - it's secure transport. Ideas are welcome!