View Single Post
Why do you want OmniFocus to keep track of reference material in the first place? OmniFocus is a tool for organizing projects and actions. It is extremely good at doing that, but it has been optimized for that purpose, which makes it less useful for storing other things.

There are better tools out there for organizing reference material; I use DevonThink Pro Office for some material, Journler for others, and OmniOutliner for still others, but EagleFiler, Mori, CircusPonies' Notebook, Yojimbo, and plenty of other programs are also available. With Spotlight, or one of the Spotlight enhancers if you need more precision, all that material is readily available with a few keystrokes.

I also don't understand why you feel that reference material needs a context in the first place. The point of a context is to specify the place you must be or the resources you must have in order to DO something. Since reference material is not the kind of thing that needs doing, it doesn't need a context. It might be a context itself--for instance, any action I have that requires consulting my DevonThink database needs a context of Computer--but it does not require its own context any more than I need to assign a context to my drill or my reciprocating saw.