View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
When I'm actually _doing_ things, I don't look at projects at all. I look at Contexts. This allows me to "select a context and display only items for that context", exactly as defilmj suggests. When I'm at home, I want to see all the things for @Home, regardless of what project they're for. I might have "take extra laptop battery to work" in my @Home context, and I need to do that at home, even though it's for a work project.
Agreed, I also have folders like this, and in fact sub-folders of those, and in some cases even sub-sub-folders. One of my favourite features of OmniFocus (and the reason I thought it was called OmniFOCUS...) was the ability to focus on a project, or a project folder. Doing so means that I can remove various sorts of distractions to suit my situation (apart from using other methods like contexts, start dates etc). I often dedicate time in my calendar not to a particular project, but to a group (folder/"category") of projects, so that I set up my work environment, frame of mind etc for those types of projects, and pick off tasks in a context view. I find I'm much more focussed on the types of task at hand this way, and I spend less overhead adapting my environment for the kinds of tasks I need to do.

Since I work from home, this allows me to make sure that when I have the clock running, counting time which I'll be billing a customer for, I'm not doing personal tasks instead, and vice versa.

Currently on the iPhone. the only solution would seem to be to use contexts instead, to distinguish between personal work time and paid work time, and I'm currently looking at going that route, where right now I just mark things I need to do at my Mac (which is 95% of my actions), as being in the "Mac" context.