View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLogikal View Post
I think a lot of people are hung up on the fact that "flagging" isn't "Today."

If you renamed flagged to "today" and changed the corresponding Perspective you'd have no issues. People are just used to certain naming and can't get past the naming. It works the same way regardless.

I feel like Things has sort of ruined some of the spontaneity that you get with real GTD. People feel like they need to plan their day out thanks to Things. When real GTD is based on available time and next actions. Thank them for corrupting a good thing.

I'd suggest anyone really wishing there was a Today view in OmniFocus would go take a look at the GTD book again and tell me where it states there needs to be a Today view. Is it a nice feature? Sure, but don't get hung up on names. Flag items, check your flagged view. Call it good.
For me, the issue is that I have lots of different same context tasks. I use flags to mean "I should get to this today, approximately." I use them sort of like load balancing. I will flag a "reasonable" number of errands or chores in the evening or morning for the next day.

I procrastinate and have ADD. Saying that I would spend a certain amount of time on maintenance and then looking at the right contexts might make sense. But, for me, saying "these are a reasonable number of things to get done" feels right.