View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acollins View Post
What do you do for for something that must happen by a specific date/time? For example, if I have a report due at the close of business next Thursday -- but I can submit it anytime before that -- should it be calendared in iCal as part of the "hard landscape" or left in OmniFocus as a task?
For this example, I'd do both: make a project called "Prepare Report" in OmniFocus, with a due date for this friday. But I'd also put a reminder in my calendar to "Turn in Report" on friday. This way, I'm reminded to work on it before friday, but there is also an "appointment" that must take place on friday.

You could also put another reminder note into iCal for wednesday: "Begin working on report". A better option would be to set the project start date to wednesday in OF. This will work only if you're faithfully reviewing your projects every day. A calendar works best when it's only for things that absolutely must get done today or not at all...

Now, if I could only work on the report the same day it was due, I'd probably put both of those items on iCal... they'd not really even have to go into OmniFocus. Ultimately, your best strategy depends on how you work: if you have lots of deadlines and therefore your normal mode of operation is to use OmniFocus to display and work on projects "due today", then you'd probably just put it into OmniFocus, as that has the best chance of giving you the needed reminder at the right time. But for me, I don't always check my OF tasks like clockwork everyday, but I DO always check my calendar every day. For me, OF is for those projects to do "as soon as possible but not necessarily today".

So, the answer is: however it best fits into your trusted system. If iCal is the thing you trust for getting things done on a certain day, then put it there, if OF is, then put it there (in which case OF is also performing the function of calendar).