View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambi View Post
I found the "ubiquitous" capture philosophy of Inbox to be, well, too ubiquitous. To my surprise, I found Inbox was holding my hand a little too tightly...

I found that Inbox actually deferred my thinking until later...

I found that Inbox just ended up in practice clogging up the entire workflow with too much noise and not enough signal.
I'm completely with Ambi on this. I briefly tried Inbox last year and was immediately turned off by the restrictive, even annoying (for me anyway), workflow process. As Boris mentioned above, I think the GTD process is more about personal behavior change than enforcement through tools.

That behavior change will come if you want it to, and once it does, the GTD mindset and process will happen automatically and naturally. It just takes a little time to recondition your mind and unlearn old habits. :)

Once the GTD mindset (mind like water) has taken hold, I would think a less flexible tool like Inbox would start to get in the way and become more of a burden than a benefit. I think just about everyone puts there own personal spin on GTD and having a degree of flexibility in your tools makes that a lot easier once you're ready to start fine-tuning your approach.

Just a question about the Spotlight "auto-inbox-collection": Does Midnight Inbox really collect every single email, bookmark, iCal event, note, file, etc. into a list for review in a single, GTD-style inbox? Don't you have some items that you wouldn't want included in a GTD inbox? For example, a file or calendar event that you've created yourself that doesn't require "inbox processing?" Surely, the app must allow you to filter what items get included otherwise it seems like it would just be overwhelming.

-Dennis