View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Púca View Post
True, but the iPad isn't primarily a content creation device. It's primarily a content consumption device.
It's what you make of it. If it's a content consumption device for you, you don't need to buy OmniGraffle.

Quote:
With the iPad in hand, you're sitting on the couch browsing the web while watching TV.
Maybe you are. I got rid of television ten years ago and never looked back.

Looking back in history at computers I've used for work before, the iPad compares very well to devices that are only five years or so older. If I go back ten+ years then the very expensive Pismo Powerbook I used back then probably loses out to an iPad.

What I think Apple is doing with the iPad is trying to "reboot" personal computing. Normal people don't need all the bloat of a full-blown modern personal computer. As far as I can tell, they may well have correctly identified the few key things that people use their computers for.

Quote:
It'll be lighter uses. Mocking up a 2-page newsletter in Pages; creating a spreadsheet for your kid's baseball team; creating a garden plan in OmniGraffle. That sort of thing.
If you are willing to spend $600 so you can create a garden plan in OmniGraffle, then surely $50 more doesn't make a huge difference because you probably have money coming out of your ears :)