View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
There is not a dominant standard for this yet and there needs to be.
Well DropBox is pretty close when it comes to accessing documents and building an ecosystem that third parties can tie into.

And Google Docs, Mail, Calendaring is fairly ubiquitous in those areas.

Quote:
Apple does get the importance and impact of the cloud over pretty much anyone else.
I think they are just starting to, although I don't think I agree the statement more than anyone else.

I think the iOS ecosystem (and even the popularity of Google services) has influenced this, but I think this is a relatively recent revelation/change.

And I don't think that anyone can argue that this has always been Google's vision (everything in the cloud).

Amazon is a solid performer here as well, and not just with their recent music locker, and android store, or their Kindle service, or the rumored Andoid tablet that is making the headlines these days.

The online store itself is the start of this vision, and many of the items I purchase at the online store are available in a digital locker as well (and have been for years).

But they have had an even bigger (but most people don't know about) S3 service that drives many of the popular online services we use today, such as InstaPaper.

Not saying that those are necessarily the types of services to compare to MobileMe/DropBox, but as far as companies understanding "the impact of the cloud", I don't think Apple has been a forerunner in this area.

Quote:
That's why I think they will address this - they have to.
Don't get me wrong, I want them to address this. I hope they will address this. There are some indications that they will address this. It seems obvious, from so many angles...

All I am saying is:
1) given their track record, I will believe it when I see it
2) I don't understand, given how well they do everything else, how poor MobileMe sync (in general, and iDisk in particular) is...and its been that way for a long time. And you pay for it! [again, compared to DropBox]

I sure hope iOS 5 and/or Lion and/or iCloud.com and/or the NC data center bring great things to document and management soon.