View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenrussett View Post
Ok but that does not explain by the Gantt does not update. The gantt shows the duration. So shouldnt the Gantt and the Duration column be equal to each other? Meaning that if i change the project hours of of a day, the duration changes in the WBS. But the Gantt does not change. unless i am spacing out on something here, and everything i know about WBS and PMOK and PMI, the duration column and the Gantt bar length should show the same information. ???
Maybe the reason it makes sense to me is that I don't know what the acronyms mean :-)

Okay, let's try it a different way. The bar OmniPlan draws on the Gantt chart goes from the start of the task to the end of the task, regardless of what is between them. Weekends, holidays, days off, it doesn't matter. If you have assigned an 8 hour task to someone who works 2 hours per day, the bar is probably going to span at least 4 days on the Gantt chart. Similarly, if you assign that 8 hour task to someone who works 9-3 on Monday and 9-noon on Thursday, it is always going to cover at least 4 days, because it will span either Thursday to Monday or Monday to Thursday unless it has to go into an additional week (because it couldn't start until 2 PM on Monday, for example, in which case it would occupy 1 hour Monday, 3 hours on Thursday, and the 1st 4 hours of the next Monday, thus spanning no fewer than 8 days). OmniPlan does not draw a chain of sausage links only on the days the resource actually works.

Suppose you worked for your town government as an OmniPlan consultant 2 hours on each Monday and Wednesday. Suppose also that to save costs your town government switched from working 9-5 M-F (5 x 8 hour days) to 8-6 M-Th (4 x 10 hour days). The value you would enter in the town's OmniPlan documents for project hours per day would change from 8 to 10, but a Gantt chart showing tasks assigned to you would not change, agreed?