View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
... On that screen, click the "New…" button, set the Port Name to "Other", add the port number you picked (e.g. 50042), and optionally set the description (e.g. "OmniFocus Sync Server"). When you've got that all set up, click "OK". You should now see "OmniFocus Sync Server" in your "Allow" list, and it should be checked (allowing incoming connections).
Does that help?
Yes. It does, though the method had been described to me in an email a couple months before without the above step explained, it had not worked - seeming to initially and then failing. Maybe it seems obvious to some but the above crucial detail you gave was missing from the ninja instructions.

I had other iPhone apps that were using SyncDocs to create a port to communicate with so I was focused on using that to create an open port. Bit of tunnel vision.

Just now that this is finally figured out, I see a tweet that discusses free iDisk alternatives like SwissDisk. Using WebDav seems appealing. wondering about back up though, also wonder if it's one other the other, that using WebDav would not allow me to use Bonjour when home.