View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFF View Post
I have each "bucket" that you mentioned (Work, Personal, Legal, Marketing, etc). set up as a folder. I consider these to be equivalent to "Areas of Focus"/20,000 ft level in classic GTD terminology.

I get around what you mentioned as an inability to assign tasks to folders by having a Single Action List in EACH folder (i.e., inside Legal would be a Single Action List called "Single Tasks - Legal"), then any individual action that is not a part of a project simply gets put into the appropriate Single Action List within the folder.
This is exactly how I manage my tasks, although at the very highest level I have Work, Home and Personal folders (I found I needed to separate Home and Personal as tasks in Personal were distinct to me and could cross into Work or Home without actually belonging to either - things like self-study or reading lists or running back-ups on my MacBook which is used for both work and personal stuff).

Then I have folders beneath that for each "Area of Focus" containing projects and at least one Single Action List per folder. Some of these lists do indeed remain empty occasionally, but I still feel they're important to the structure. If they go unused for a considerable length of time then I remove them. I'm not rigid with my approach though - if an area of focus is persistent and will only ever require a single action list then I'm happy for that to exist outside of a second level folder.

Last edited by pmdf; 2012-08-13 at 03:56 AM..