View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I certainly don't wish to discourage anyone from using OF in any way they find works best for them, but that being said, I think for many people, changing the context of an action to something that isn't a true context (a tool, condition, state of mind, person, or other requirement to make headway on an action) is probably not using the program to its full advantage. That action is now "hidden" from view when you look at a list of actions available in a given context, and you've gained little that you couldn't achieve by simply putting some "tags" in the notes field without disturbing the context.

Just my opinion, but spoken as one who does not believe that contexts have to be as restrictive as suggested in the book.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree, but I'm not sure we are that much different in our suggestions. Contexts, for instance, could be life areas that you are engage in (teaching, research, etc.), situations you are place in (waiting for a response, in process), or even places (Grocery store, Home Depot) . . .

Now it's not strictly GTD suggested by David Allen, but I don't simply follow David Allen exclusively, but other folks whose ideas I find helpful. If I can incorporate these ideas that help me organize my life better, then why not? Recently, I found Mark Foster's notion of DIT to be extremely beneficial for me and have incorporated his ideas along with DA's GTD.

In my perspective not broadening the definition of context would lead to using OF not to its full advantage since the program offers so much flexibility.