View Single Post
In the Oredev talk on 'Going from Mac to iPhone to iPad and back' William van Hecke (OmniGroup) says that you *should* do things right, *except* when you don't. http://vimeo.com/album/1869294/video/37741412 .

'Trivial' indicates a comparison: flags in multiple colours (highlights) versus workflow/perspectives overhaul (prioritisation). I am in favour (in this case) of giving customers a small fraction on a reasonably short timeline and then do the right thing afterwards (if people actually request that).

Another example: I've submitted 10+ feature requests and bug reports over the past 3 years (example: flag a project with Apple-Shift-L; very annoying for keyboard weenies like me). I spent 2h+ on each of them making things as clear as possible. Received excellent responses from the ninja's (NL: schouderklopje!). None have made it into production, nor have been assigned some timeline.

The quality of a feature depends heavily on timing (again, from wvh's talk): Both doing a quick fix and doing it right can give you bad press, or make you a hero.

I would love to see (and participate if that's of use) in a roadmap for OmniFocus for Mac. And I am perfectly happy when 'my feature' has been pushed down by other requests. The 'when' on any of this is what I am looking for. Stepping away from a great tool because I, well, just don't know, is the worst possible option for me.

Nick

P.S.: I *fully* agree with the post about no priorities. It would be nice to mark one of 1000+ actions for, say, today (blue), tomorrow (yellow), this weekend (orange). Or use flags to mark energy levels (yellow, orange, red). Or in a large pile of little odds and ends the ones you want to focus on in 'the next 2 hours', without having to drop the 'this week!' flag, or spam the Forecast view on your iPhone.

P.P.S.: A programmer worth his salt? I guess you are one of them. And I am not. Let the flames begin!