View Single Post
The last time I did serious programming was in the old HyperCard days.... But I've worked with several programmers in the past and understand the obstacles that come with the field (crappy software development environment, lack of APIs, limits of the hardware, etc.).

Heck, I use Squarespace for my web site because I just don't want to go back to the days of HTML coding or learning PERL, Javascript, Ruby on Rails or whatever else is out there.

It took me a while to figure out how to create a style that shaded my overdues in red, my due soon in orange, blocked in gray, and available actions in green. So creating your own OmniFocus style might help.

This is my latest attempt at an OmniFocus theme that colors my tasks based on status (available, blocked, due soon, overdue):

https://www.box.com/s/mzblucsba8ezv9x5shqd

I like using colors to indicate status. But I have to concur that creating an OmniFocus style is not an easy task.

Sometimes I focus better when I look at my Next Actions perspective, write down three to five tasks from the screen on to a piece of paper, tape it to my desk lamp and close OmniFocus. Then i just completely focus on what is on that paper. Then I'd also write on another piece of paper for my weekend tasks.

Psychologically, it just seems to get me more focused looking at that paper list instead of looking at OmniFocus all the time. All I see are those tasks that I wrote down.

If I have to look at OmniFocus, I'll be tempted to try to look for something else more pleasant to do instead of just eating the frog and doing the unsavory tasks I actually wrote down.

I've learned to make sure that OmniFocus is just one of many tools to get things done. it's just one of many tools in the arsenal.