View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyn View Post
"2. The blue icon is a shoe box for stuffing all those Single Action Project (aka, project-less tasks or single task projects) that don't need to be otherwise organized."

is that any different than a simple folder? does work in a different way? or just a different icon?
The shoe box (or single action list) acts much like a parallel project, with some small differences in how actions are displayed. In a parallel project or action group, viewing Next Actions will show only the first action listed, whereas in a single action list, all available actions will be shown. It is provided to be a convenient "container" for unrelated actions which aren't necessarily complex enough to merit being projects on their own. For example, I have one that contains reminders to do the various tasks relating to keeping our pets alive and well. Feeding the cats and cleaning the litterboxes aren't really connected (well, actually, they are :-) and so I get a daily reminder about to check the food supply, one every few days to clean the litterboxes, change the water in the fish tank, etc. It's not really a sequential project, and it isn't really a parallel project, either; it's a collection.

Quote:
"3. No on the multiple contexts, but tagging is promised and may be used as such. I am hoping to use it for time or condition sensitive tasks (must be light out, a rainy da, M-F, etc)."

tagging has been one of the features i found very intuitive in "things" and was looking for in OF... i figured for now i can just keep some keywords in the notes and then search for the words... i tried that earlier today and it seemed like a way to do it since i didn't know about multiple contexts... i use that technique a lot in other programs, like iTunes, mail with mailTags, etc... it's hard to imagine how i found anything in the computer before the search engines became so sophisticated... it was all done with the filing system, which i still use as a primary means... but there is no substitute for searching these days... it's amazing how quickly the search engines have changed the paradigm for how to find info and use a computer... i look forward to tagging in OF...

thanks- ;-)
What has actually been promised is a metadata column, which could be used for tagging or multiple contexts. By the time you can actually download a copy of OmniFocus that has it, however, I think there's a good chance you'll have discovered that the current scheme, used intelligently, covers most things pretty well. Yes, there are things that can be done more easily with multiple contexts/tags, but a decent tagging set up doesn't seem to require any less thought and care, in my experience. Haphazard use of tags on a few thousand items gets you a system you can't trust to show you everything.