View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitions2o View Post
I have created a folder for each car/truck - '1972 Challenger' and '1949 Chevy 3100'. The issue I am running into is that I do not want to get too many levels within the folders. So right now each component is broken down into a project. ....
Any tips on people who have tackled big projects such as this?
I too track rather large projects in OF and I do something similar to you. Each major project area is a separate folder and each piece is a separate project under that.

What I did to do the overall planning is at the folder level I make either an electronic or paper folder with a rough timeline or any dependencies, project support material as it were, that documents the larger project.

So for example in my world we had a massive project about fences. Existing ones needed replacing and we needed additional fences for managing the farm and livestock.

I made a folder for fences and then within it each separate section of fence was a separate project. My paper folder on fences has a map of the farm, documentation of where the existing fences were and their status, i.e. how bad were they. This allowed me to prioritize which of the various segments were the most important to get done and in what order. I also put in pamphlets on the various materials we planned to use, business cards of possible fencing contractors, price quotes etc. This top level documentation was my overall guide for that whole fencing area of focus. As fences got finished their final costs and any warranty papers for the materials also are in this file.

There were also some projects that covered all of them, like "research and decide on fencing installer", "decide on locations of any new fences" and so on. As I thought or we decided on where the new fences would go I made each segment a separate project "Middle orchard divider fence", "West orchard divider fence", "Pear orchard pasture fence", "Pear orchard perimeter fence", "North Cedars fence" were all separate projects as each had specific things related to just that project and so on.

I also created some standard checklists of tasks that are common to each of those projects, saved it as an on-hold project in a folder I call templates and then just made a copy and edited it to reflect the specifics of any specific fence.

The total "project" to replace and install all the fencing is going on 7 years and we still have 2 segments to go. The last 2 are interior fences and less critical to keeping predators out so were lower priority.

My paper Fences folder is the overall plan for the set of projects. It's what keeps me on track for this massive project.