View Single Post
It's always easy to jump on the band wagon and call for lower prices, and I'm going to as well, but it is a considered jumping on.

Let me start by saying that I think OF Desktop is over priced to start with. It's a great app, but $40 would be an attractive price and having used it I'd still be willing at $50, but $80 is just too steep IMHO.

Further let me say up front that I find apps that COULD be combined iPhone/iPad apps but aren't to be patently obnoxious. I think of it as buying a mobile app, not as buying one app for my phone and another for my iPad. I think the same of desktop apps that are restricted to a single machine. A single user shouldn't have to buy a separate license for their laptop and their desktop.

Even then, if there was a combined app, I think that app should have been priced around $25. As it is we've got to spend $60 to get both.

The iPhone app is nice, but it's not really usable as a stand alone product, it's usefulness comes from syncing with the desktop version. The iPad app might be fully usable for some, but I still think of it as an accessory to the desktop version. Making people pay nearly as much for the accessories as the actual product irks me.

By comparison, Things which is essentially similar to OF (and I think actually offers better sync services, more on that later) is $50 for the desktop app (fair), $20 for iPad (fair) and $10 for iPhone (fair)... still I don't think the iPad and iPhone apps should be separate apps, but the overall pricing seems more reasonable to me.

As for sync'ing services which is why I came to the forums today. I understand OF isn't really optimized for network based syncing, and that the infinite undo ability probably makes that extremely difficult, but ubiquitous instant syncing between devices is the very least I would expect if paying those sorts of prices. WebDAV (which I use) is a start, but DropBox ought to be supported as well.

The saving grace for OmniGroup's pricing is their great support, but the lack of ubiquitous instant syncing is the overriding reason I think the mobile apps simply aren't worth anything near their price tags.