Thread: Why Vote?
View Single Post
Brian,

Apologies if I'm being dumb but I'm with ifonline (no slur intended mate!).

OK, 'contacts' was first raised in 2006, which I guess makes it initially a desktop feature request. In July this year it had the most votes. Suddenly it's now #10. What happened? I'm guessing iPad feature issues are now trumping it, ie. calendar view, etc.

So I go back to asking what is the point of voting? If Apple launches iGizmo next year, is Omni simply going to play catch-up again? Will the desktop programs be left to languish, (ie. OminiOutliner) and feature requests for desktop, iPhone & iPad put on the backburner while a slew of new feature requests for iGizmo overtake current ones but don't actually get implemented because they in turn will be overtaken?

Password-on-Launch isn't high on my agenda, just nice to have, but I can appreciate why others, especially those younger than myself (which is everyone!) would want it. My kids and grandkids share their technology in a way that I wouldn't have dreamt of 20 years ago: "anyone got free minutes?" being a frequent cry in my household leading to the great iPhone swap.

I also understand Grinder's concerns. I've moved my Someday/Maybe out to iMandalArt which does have a multiple password locks, so I'm much more honest in entering items because I know others won't get to see them (divorce wife, evict kids, sell grandkids, etc.), although I have to confess that the folder name 'S/M' and it being secured has raised a few eyebrows and some ribald comments!

I accept that no matter how many votes a feature receives it may not be implemented, ie. tags, but I'm truly trying to understand what the benefits of the voting process actually are. I can't recall any feature requests on this Board being implemented on iDevices, ignoring the bug-fixes which in my book should never need to be voted on in the first place.

I'd be happy to 'opt-in' again if I genuinely understood there was actually a point!

Sorry in advance if this comes across as rude or blunt, it's not intended to be! :)

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-09-23 at 08:45 AM..