View Single Post
If you are using OF on a desktop mac, this applescript can really make templates work a lot more smoothly for you:

http://pxldot.com/blog/2013/omnifocus-templates

It is an update/extension of Curt Clifton's templates script, which I had been using for a few years before this newer script came along.

I agree with JJW about the value of breaking recurring tasks down into templates. This can significantly reduce the friction involved in capturing certain kinds of stuff.

For example, I review a lot of documents. So I have a template that relates to that, because the workflow around that review is generally pretty consistent. The templates script makes is really easy to drop the work flow around document review into any project that requires it. So I don't have to type all that stuff in each time. It also keeps those actions pretty consistent.

I also have templates for opening different kinds of matters (projects), because there are a bunch of little admin steps I need to do every time (e.g., create client file, send fee letter, etc). The template creates a nice check list for me with very little work. Then, I can fill in the other specifics of the substantive work I'm going to need to do.

With very little effort, I've created a pretty comprehensive framework for capturing and managing the information I'll need to work on that project. If I had to do that manually each time I started a new project, I wouldn't do it. And things would feel even more chaotic.

The act of creating the template is also a really great opportunity to think about your workflow and to distill the important parts into something that does recur.

The templates script also has a bunch of date logic you can build into the template. I'm only beginning to explore using that. So I can't speak intelligently to it yet.

But my assumption is that if I want to build some standard tickling dates into my template, I can do that (e.g., if I know that I want to set a due date on the third step of the workflow that is 7 days after the date I created the workflow, this applescript can do it.

Beyond that, take heart, I've been using OF since it was Kinkless GTD. I feel like I'm still learning new stuff and refining how I use it. It's like playing an instrument. I've been playing guitar for 35 years. While my learning curve is a lot flatter today than it was in the first few years, there are still plenty of things to learn and refine.

Some of the stuff Brian is saying about using the tool to hide as much stuff as possible is really only starting to sink in for me after all this time.

It's similar to the Inbox Zero thing with e-mail. I didn't think that doing it in Gmail would make that big of a difference. I'd gotten along fine keeping a large portion of my e-mail in my inbox. It was not big deal, right? But Inbox Zero really has made a difference for me. Only seeing a few things in the inbox that are important now, really makes it easier to focus on those things.

You don't realize the degree to which having a list of even 15 things in front of you can subtly start to overwhelm you brain. But when you start to use some tools to boil that list down 1-5 things your going to do that day, it's surprising how it helps with focus and flow.

The beauty of OF is that if you finish the things on your list, it's easy to reload it with new stuff. But until you are ready to do that, it stays out of your way.

KS

Last edited by kingsinger; 2013-03-20 at 10:06 PM..