View Single Post
I understand that it's been a long time since we charged our customers for an upgrade, and that some people are still waiting for specific features that we don't have planned for a 3.x update. But OmniOutliner 3 certainly hasn't sat still over the last 7 years, or even for the last year—for example, OmniOutliner 3 introduced support for Auto Save and Versions and full screen mode on the day Lion shipped.

We've been constantly making major improvements to OmniOutliner 3 for its entire life cycle—starting with adding Intel support on the day Intel processors shipped. (If you remember back to that transition, can you think of another third-party developer that added Intel support for free—rather than charging for it in a major upgrade—and that had Intel support available on day one? Or even within the first few months?)

Between that early Intel update and our most recent Lion updates, we've also added support for Spotlight (on the day Spotlight shipped), dictionary lookups, LinkBack (for editable embedded content from OmniGraffle and other apps), Automator workflows, Quick Look (both for outlines themselves, and for their embedded attachments), custom toolbars on specific documents, Word 2008 export, saving unsaved documents even when the system crashes, revamped inspectors and unified window toolbars—and quite a few AppleScript features. (And that's not counting all the work that has happened underneath the hood: bug fixes, performance improvements, security updates, operating system compatibility updates, exporter updates, and so on.)

I'm glad that folks are looking forward to OmniOutliner 4—we are too!—and I know that it's been such a long wait for people wanting some of the features we've implemented for it. But please appreciate that a big reason that OmniOutliner 3 has continued to be so useful for as long as it has is because we've been giving it a lot of attention the whole time: it hasn't just been sitting still.