View Single Post
One habit I've found useful when deciding how/when to split up gargantuan contexts is to make some notes whenever I scan down a long list of tasks in a context about why it is that I'm not doing various tasks, even though I'm seemingly in the right context. This will often suggest some new subcategories or even top-level contexts. The vast majority of your tasks may have to be done at the office, but you'll probably find that there are some natural groupings beneath that. Perhaps there's a collection of tasks which require the use of a certain piece of equipment. Other tasks might require going to a different area of the building, or talking with a specific colleague. You'll probably be more efficient if you can do multiple similar tasks when you set up the large document scanner, walk over to marketing, or catch the remote employee who only comes in 2 days each week.

As atreinke suggests, contexts don't have to be physical locations; they are orthogonal to projects, and offer you the ability to slice and dice your task lists into smaller chunks. Doing so makes it easier to select a task and get back to work rather than staring numbly at an impossibly large list.