View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
You posted the version of the nightly download you were running, so I wasn't thinking you were talking about that.
That's what I meant. In this case, I simply grabbed the most recent WebKit without paying much attention to the build number, then when I went to make my report, I didn't know what it was. I ended up going back to the download page to find out. Neither the Get Info panel in Finder nor the About box mention the WebKit version, and as far as I can see, there are no release notes in the download.

Interestingly and a bit confusingly, the WebKit site talks about the build number, which it reports as 420+ (and which the about box errantly reports as 419.x.x - obviously, the Safari shell isn't being updated). What makes this all a little confusing is that the words "build" and "version" are constantly being used interchangeably when they aren't always interchangeable, at least assuming their traditional usages if not their dictionary meanings. In fact, I'm not even sure at this point which is actually which. The nightlies are incrementing the 1xxxx number, so I'd consider that the build number, but a *version* number of 420+ after just a couple of years would be extremely unusual. Perhaps it's builds of WebKit versus builds of WebKit-Safari.

In any case, it was the WebKit version/build number that I was trying to figure out without having to reference the creation date against the list on the download page.