View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
When you say your Mac cleans everything up, what do you mean exactly... I have 24 .client files and have only sync'd my iMac, MacBook, and iPhone.
I think every time one of your Macs sync with the server, a new client file is created, uniquely-named with a time stamp. This seems to happen whether there are outstanding changes or not. Also, a collection of zipped files gets copied to the server, one for each transaction with your database. Finally, it looks like the Mac client removes any old client files (older than an hour?) and merges any zip files that have already been synced to all clients.

Please note that I really have no idea what I'm talking about. The above paragraph is pure speculation based on what I've observed on my system. The Omni Group could very easily step up and tell me I'm completely wrong. :)

If I'm right, though, there's no longer any need to worry about excess client or zip files on the server, at least not ones created by your Mac clients. It looks like the ones that get created now are being done on purpose and get cleaned up in time.

I gather from Lizard's post that the iPhone client hasn't yet adopted this new syncing approach. It still creates only a single client file to identify itself (rather than a new client file for each instance of a sync session like the Mac client does). But unless you've had some kind of a mix up in setting up syncing with your iPhone, this shouldn't really be problem either. One client file gets created for each iPhone and it stays that way, at least for now.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

UPDATE - I started writing my post before I saw Lizard's response above. Now I'm not clear whether the Mac client is supposed to create a new client file on the server with every sync or not. It sure looks like mine is doing that now, but maybe that's not right. However, I can also see that the old client files are getting cleaned up; after waiting an hour or so, there are a lot fewer of them and my database size goes back down to around its original size.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-22 at 09:47 PM..