View Single Post
Well, so far, the capability exists for all of these in the choices that can be selected for the location of the context. Unfortunately, all choices resolve to only the direction to the closest one.

I travel a lot. I can see making a list of items I need and then needing to find them when I get there (I stay for usually a week at a time so groceries are needed). If I had done this, using the example above, I would have gone to the wrong place and had no information as to where the right choice was. Not exactly a great way to help me "get things done."

I don't need to know the location of things around my home area. I know where all the Home Depots, Lowes, and hardware stores are. I know where to stop on the way home from work etc... It's when I'm somewhere that is not familiar that matters.

Where it really matters is when I'm not home and not in familiar surroundings.

So, when the context is set as "business search" then it ought to go as a straight set of search terms to google maps. When it is location, use the GPS coordinates. Do not put it in "directions" mode but "search" mode and I can pick the pin that makes sense for me. I can then get direction there if I need it.

Google Maps also need to be carefully sanity checked. It's wrong a not insignificant percentage of the time even when given a fully specified address.

Right now, as set, this feature looks to be poor utility in my estimation. Just changing it to "search" instead of "directions" will work much better and be much more flexible regardless of the location method selected for the context. Hard setting "directions" is overreaching and maybe the choice between "search" and "directions" should be a preference. K.I.S.S. applies.

J.