View Single Post
David Allen mentions that when you're writing out a project and specifically typing away your Next Actions, you need to add an action verb to kinda get you started.

Instead of writing: Buy new wardrobe

You'd break it up into smaller steps such as:

1. Google clothes stores in the area
2. Visit store and purchase no more than $50 worth of clothes
3. Save receipt just in case
4. etc.

But even then you can specify it a bit more, for example step #3 could involve more, such as: 3. Place receipt in Clothing Purchasing Receipt folder.

Well, I've included a photo to show the norm as to how it looks like when I write stuff out. Personally, I don't like it. Its kinda a mess; for 2 reasons really.

The first is where normally just a few words would go explaining the next action, I practically write a full sentence or two.

Take a look at: Do laundry: put in washer, and dryer and seperate clothes according to color. (Sort out by colors and remove stains in white shirts)

I feel it should really be titled something like, "Wash Clothes." And under the notes section have the info such as, grab detergent from under the sink, put in washer for 30 min, dryer for 40 min.

Secondly is the wording of the next actions. Action words would seem most appropiate so when I look at that next action, two or three words succinctly tell me what I need to do next (i.e. Call AppleCare). As you can see from the included photos I don't really name them that easily, but rather write a sentence along the lines of, "I need to call AppleCare to fix the DVD slot problem."

The interesting thing with this thread is that i'll hopefully gain some insight as to how others write out their tasks, next actions. I'm completely guessing here and have no idea how others write out their action steps and projects, whether you guys use notes and in what terms and purpose.

Obviously the entire purpose of this is to begin a better routine, implementing the best method when writing out projects and next actions....simply because I feel that what i'm currently doing is making me take one look at my available actions and immediately looking away and surfing the web slacking off.

P.S. Obviously this doesn't just apply to naming action steps and notes, but also delves into how you may go about naming projects themselves and even how you go about naming context location and how many you have..

..but I think taking a look at the photos i've included and what i've asked will show kinda what i'm focusing on in this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	647