Thread: Gripes
View Single Post
(sorry, I originally posted this on the wrong forum, I'm a newbie, my bad, it won't happen again)

Dear production team:

I think you guys have a lot of things implemented very well, the current sneaky peek beta of 5.5 (17) is stable, and man, is it fast!! But there remain a few little niggles, minor things but quite irritating. I'll mention four.

1.) This version only launches if it is kept on the desktop or in the Computer>Applications folder. If placed in the Computer>User>Home>Applications file, or in a subfolder thereof, it refuses to launch. Which, unfortunately, is exactly where I want to keep it (since I use ChronoSynch to automatically back up my Home folder to my external h. d. daily, and want OmniWeb to be included in the package).

2. Every time I open a new window, it insists on opening on the left side of my screen, and since I have a rather large monitor, I have to drag the window to center it. Then I close it, open another window. Same thing. Gets to be a real time-wasting nuisance. I want OmniWeb to be able to remember where I located my last window and open the new one in the same place.

4. Not only does the new window open in the original place, it opens in its original size. Again, I'd like OmniWeb to remember the size as well of the location of the last window to be opened and use them for the new window.

3. I've always hated the way AutoFill is implemented on OmniWeb, where you get a drop-down list of options for each item. The Safari way, where it grabs info from your Address Book and fills out each blank in a whole page at once, is MUCH nicer.

In fact, three of these four little niggles, plus probably others I haven't noticed yet, all have to do with poorly implemented ergonomics that make the user's experience less easy and pleasant than it ought to be. They make me wonder if you ought to hire a guy for your development team whose job would be to serve as a kind of ergonomics ombudsman, who would spot these little problems and hammer the rest of the team until they got them right. God, as they say, is in the details.