View Single Post
I've decided to take the plunge and finally get my BS in Web Design and Development. I've been looking around for a long time for the right app to use as a task manager, scheduler, calendar and overall organizer.

I've looked at almost every GTD based app available and the only one that seems to be flexible enough is Omnifocus. But at the same time it's a lot more than I need, or at least think I need. I can use some input on the optimal way to set it up for a student. I'm not going to use it for anything other than my school work. As a matter of fact I am testing another app specifically for students called Schoolhouse that is almost there but not quite. You can only enter information the way the app lets you so you don't have any customization options.

My Omnifocus setup so far:

Some facts first - Degree is Web Design and Development
I'm doing it online as traveling to the University on a daily basis would be very difficult
I'm going to have 1 course of study per month (More or less)

This is the first five months
English Composition
Art History
Designing Computer Graphics
Advanced Computer Graphics

I created a folder for each course
Then I create a project for the assignment
and finally actions for the things I have to do for each assignment

For example:
Folder - English Comp
Project - Plagiarism Exercise
Action - Download and read .doc and .ppt
Note - I paste the entire description of the assignment

For contexts the only thing that makes sense to me is to use the action I'll have to do to complete the assignment. So I currently have

@reading
@written
@essay
@coding
@css
@php

I will more than likely have to add and edit as I go.

So this is where I am right now. I know I haven't even touched the true power of Omnifocus but I don't have the luxury of time to study it inside and out. I want to learn the most useful and important features as they pertain to me.

Can someone also explain how I set up syncing with my iCal?

Thank you in advance, I'm hoping some of you Ominifocus GTD Gurus can help:)