View Single Post
I've mentioned elsewhere that I really don't use the Inbox much, as I usually know what Project a task needs to go to. Geoff's post is making me think of other ways I can use OF that do make use of the Inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofffitch
+ File for reference: Here’s a tricky one. I think we are left to a manual process at this point because, who knows where it’s supposed to be filed. I might drop someone’s phone number or birth date or a book reference in my inbox, but these go in various places and I can’t think of a good way for OF to support that.
This is one way I might use the InBox ... if there was an elegant way to move items to their correct homes, as Geoff says.

Right now, I use QuickSilver for things like this. If I see something I want to save in an e-mail, I'll invoke QS, type a period (full stop) paste in the reference, and either create a text file for it or append it to an existing file. This doesn't take too long, but I have all these little text files wandering all over.

Much nicer would be to put all these snippets into the Inbox and be able to send them to their appropriate homes. Perhaps we could have a right-click "Send to:" menu that we could populate with our applications. So, when I have a great idea for a t-shirt, I can use Quick Entry to put the idea in my InBox, then later use Send To: -> OmniOutliner, select my "Shirt Ideas" file, and have the idea show up in a new line at the bottom. SendTo -> Address Book would make the item a new card, etc.

I could then use OF to save ALL my ideas, not just the tasks. And that would be very, very nice. Once a week I'd have a task group, Review (application) to remind me to put the snippets in their correct final places. [Shirt ideas in the correct grouping; address card info merged into existing cards ...]

Just musings ... unless our fearless ninjas have this in the queue, I wouldn't expect it for v 1.0.

--Liz